Monday, 12 April 2010

Masked Off

Most of the small detail painting is now complete, so here we are with all the detail stuff all masked off. I'm just waiting for some areas to dry and the liquid mask to set before undergoing the biggest airbrushing job I've yet undertaken - the main colour, which is described as "Light Ghost Grey". Lets just hope all the masking comes off cleanly afterwards and that the paint mask stuff does what it says on the tin, well, bottle actually!!

I think (fingers and all other mobile extremities (!) crossed, that the next blog entry will show the finished item!!

Friday, 9 April 2010

Switched Case


Switched Case
Originally uploaded by Sloucher2009
Base Progress
At last I've completed the base unit! I've placed the switches in place temporarily for the top photo. My next task with this bit was to break out the airbrush again and apply several coats of gloss black and innumerable coats of gloss finishing coat.  That's what you can see, with the Star Fleet Insignia posing on the top, in the second photo.

Confidentially, and this is just between me and you - right, if it weren't for my boss at work, this step would have taken me days. You see, he lent me his multi-tool (Dremel type thingy), and I wore out several of the abrasive drum attachments - so don't tell him! I'm going to have to buy myself one I think. Ebay, here I come!

Standing Tall


Standing Tall
Originally uploaded by Sloucher2009
Hmmmm, it looks like my idea for a base might just work. As planned, I've used a pattress (power socket) box with blanking plate as the main base. It took me several visits to a few hardware stores before I managed to find a matching box and blanking plate, I must have travelled 50 miles or more!! The base from the kit is attached (or will be) to the top of the base. Three switches will be installed where marked so that there's a choice of lighting, i.e. interior lights only, interior lights with navigational markers or interior lights with nav markers and engine effects.

I intend to spray the base a deep gloss black with the kit base in contrasting silver/gold. I'm undecided yet whether to paint the support tubing black or have it buffed up all shiny like!

Enterprise herself looks a bit worse for wear at the moment as you can see, but I'm still only part way through masking off. I promise I'll buff 'er up well!

Thursday, 8 April 2010

Where's The Paint?


Where's The Paint?
Originally uploaded by Sloucher2009
Well, here she is at last, still awaiting some filler, several coats of paint, decals, a mounting base and the deflector dish assembly - oh and the plasma conduits (?) at the rear of each nacelle, but its the first time all the main assemblies have come together.

Couldn't wait to see what she looked like all lit up though, so I just clamped the support (3mm diameter aluminium tubing) in the ol' workmate, drew the curtains and connected a battery to the relevant wires - and it all worked!!

I think my decision to make my own mounting arrangement using the aluminium tube worked out ok, provided the base unit also comes out right. I'm thinking of using a plastic wall pattress (power socket box) and blanking plate as the basis.

Just noticed that in this photo, it looks like the nacelles droop downward at the back when compared to the saucer section, but it is an optical illusion - I've checked!

STOP PRESS: Just taken this short length of video, just to prove the lights work!!